Buy Book: Amazon UK

Dallas in the Fall’ of 1963 was a city of mixed emotions. The majority of the people in Dallas were no different than a cross section of Americans anywhere, but the minority was in the limelight. The small splintered factions on the extreme right and left were extremely vocal and persistent. Dallas had experienced more than its share of ugly incidents. As the tension mounted the small and violent minority were in danger of upsetting the stability of the whole city. Politically tinted incidents cast a dark shadow over Dallas. On the evening of April 10 1963 an assassination attempt had threatened the life of Retired General Edwin A. Walker, a controversial political figure on the Dallas scene. A bullet crashed through the window of his home as he sat doing paper work at his desk. The bullet narrowly missed General Walker's head and passed through a wall into the next room. The bullet was recovered and checked, but it was severely mutilated and no weapon was found. Months of extensive investigation were unable to uncover any important leads.

Investigation after the assassination of President Kennedy was able to determine to my satisfaction, that Lee Harvey Oswald had been involved in the assassination attempt on General Edwin A. Walker (See Exhibit No.2). The 6.5 caliber carbine recovered from the School Book Depository after the assassination of Kennedy was checked against the bullet recovered from General Walker's home. The F.B.I. report was inconclusive but indicated unique similarities. The report stated: "The remaining physical characteristics of the bullet, Q188, are the same as those of the bullet and bullet fragments recovered in connection with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy... Because of the extreme mutilation and distortion of Q188 and because the individual microscopic marks left on bullets by the barrel of the K1 rifle (Oswald's rifle) could have changed subsequent to the time Q188 was fired, it was not possible to determine whether or not Q188 was fired from K1."

Hatemongers were not lurking behind every building, but a few were in Dallas to be sure. Some of them, like Lee Harvey Oswald, had come from other cities and reflected lives full of wandering and disillusionment. Others were just men and women with strong feelings and very little self-control. In an atmosphere of growing tension the mood of Dallas had become volatile. Ambassador Adlai Stevenson had visited Dallas on U.N. Day, October 24 1963. When he arrived at the Adolphus Hotel a crowd of spectators from all walks of life greeted him. The crowd itself was not so unusual, but a small handful of dissidents were able to circumvent security and confront the Ambassador face to face. These ‘extremists although few in number, created an international incident, they spat on the Ambassador and began to strike him with their placards. If police had not been able to intervene immediately the Ambassador might have been seriously injured...

To request copy of restored PDF press red info button